Just as a quirk can make your character more interesting, so can their hobbies! Having a hobby gives your character something to do, whether they stumble into the craft shop and discover a murderer or build model planes while discussing their crumbing marriage. What hobbies would you add?
- painting (oil, acrylic, watercolor)
- playing a musical instrument
- cryptozoology (Big Foot, anyone?)
- history buff
- volunteering (there are more ideas on this here)
- sci-fi conventions
- historical reenactment
- crystals (either as a rock collector or in a New Age sense)
- tarot cards
- cooking or baking
- making fishing lures
- traveling (by boat, plane, bicycle, motorcycle, etc)
- martial arts
- playing billiards/pool
- watching football
- collecting (stamps, figurines, spoons, shot glasses, etc.)
- horseback riding
- mountain climbing
- flipping houses
- tie dye
I’ll continue to add to this list, so feel free to check back! Also take a peek at the other information on my Writers’ Resources page!
* * *
Ashley O’Melia is an independent author and freelancer from Southern Illinois. She holds her Bachelor’s Degree in Creative Writing and English from Southern New Hampshire University. Her books include The Wanderer’s Guide to Dragon Keepingand The Graveside Detective. Her short stories have been published in The Penmen Review, Siren’s Call, and Subcutaneous. Ashley’s freelance work has spanned numerous genres for clients around the world. You can find her on Facebook and Amazon.