It’s difficult to get all my work done sometimes. There are so many distractions. I need to be on my computer a significant part of the day if I’m actually going to have a successful freelancing business, but somehow I find myself outside weeding the garden or playing a rousing round of Go Fish with the kids. I’m getting a little better at focusing, though, so here are my
TOP TIPS FOR WRITING
6. Rig up some sort of system that will send you some nasty electric shocks every time you wander off to Facebook.
5. Encourage your spouse to play video games. Then you won’t feel guilty about not spending time with him/her. Plus he/she will lose track of just how much time you’ve spent on that computer today.
4. Wear a hoodie, so you can put snacks and candy in the pockets.
3. Wear earbuds. These will deter people who may try talking to you, as well as drown out the sound of the kids watching the same episode of Phineas and Ferb for the umpteenth time. Also very effective for pretending you didn’t hear, “Honey, what’s for dinner?”
2. Get super comfortable. My dad’s rule when I worked for him as a kid was to always get comfortable first, and I still abide by this. The more comfortable you are, the less likely you’ll be to get up and run just one more load of laundry.
1. Get a cat, and make sure it’s on your lap. This kind of goes along with “get super comfortable”, because when you have a cat on your lap you can’t get up. That’s the rule. Really. Just ask the cat.
And yes, I was supposed to be writing when I made this.
Did you enjoy this post? Please be sure to check out my other work on Amazon.